Friday, September 14, 2012

Love and hate are two sides of the same coin

Baby girl,

Many years ago, I was one of a trio of best friends. One of them was a wise gongfu trainee, for his privacy, I'll nickname him Wudang. He told me this, "Love and hate are two sides of the same coin."


You see when Will McAvoy from the Newsroom goes off tangent on a rant about how the United States has turned into a rabid mass of UN-AWESOME, we can tell that he's a man deeply wounded and deeply confounded by the state of things in HIS country today.

Sweetie pie, I grew up on a smorgasbord of "Stand Up for Singapore", "Count on me Singapore" and "One people, one nation, one singapore"- those were good times. You can sing those songs without irony because it did indeed represent how the people felt.

Growing up in the 80s was a period of optimism, to me, it's is Singapore's true golden age. Maybe it's Singapore through a child's eyes but people were happier and aunties less grumpy- it was the age of "Soundblaster? That's Creative Technologies baby- that's SINGAPORE DESIGNED AND MADE!"

Growing up in the 90s, was even better. Foreign talent wasn't a dirty word back then. We LOVED our foreign talent. They had names- Alister Edwards and Abbas Saad. Baby girl, we OWNED (sorry baby girl, gamer term used to describe how soundly we defeated someone) the Malaysian Football League so hard, they asked Singapore to stop competing (which is why we have our own league today).

I want Singapore to be great the way I remembered it to be. I want Singapore to be awesome for everyone not just for us. If in the future, anyone like "Maxsee" over there tells you that being critical about something is hate- I can tell you that it's not.

Mommy nags daddy to put his socks away regularly, that's not hate, she does it because she loves me and wants me to be more than who I am already. She sees daddy for the intellect but has aspirations for him to be neater.

When I "criticise" you for having a messy room in the future, it's not because I love you less, it's because I love you enough to what to see you reach your full potential.

I love this one statement from Maxsee, "Your daddy believes that his opinion is the end all of opinions and no one else is entitled to have a differing one."

First, that's not true because I appreciate his view. I appreciate that he took the effort to point I was wrong about "Janise". I appreciate that he has taught me something. Second, the irony is that that is the problem with PAP today- their opinions are the best, no one else is entitled to having a different one. Which is why they are attempting and mostly likely failing in this "national conversation"- everyone on the internet is deeply cynical about it. There's a reason why daddy hasn't said much about it yet, because I still hope.

You must dare to hope baby girl because we are nothing without dreams and aspirations. You must be bigger than yourself, you must want the best for people around you because we lift each other up.

Baby girl, I have to apologise. Why you ask? As Uncle @Longadin and Maxsee proved ad hominem attacks are not the best form of the argument. They should never be used, especially if you don't properly research something as crucial as the spelling on someone's name. But that's for tomorrow because daddy has to go train for IPPT.

NOT PROPERLY RESEARCHED!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT!?

Talk soon,
daddy.

2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify, this blog will not comment about Singapore politics or the state of the nation. It might touch on points briefly wherever there are educational points to be made but the main and primary purpose is to provide learning points for my unborn child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... I meet people like Max every day. They love being the goody two shoes conformists and they bite their lip and stick their heads in the sand when they get assraped, hoping the pain would go away. And then when they hear others complain about real issues, issues that hurt them too but they're just too myopic to see it, they rant about how those who complain have got their heads up their asses. They're just envious that they don't have the balls to speak up themselves. lol

    I once loved Singapore too. I had a lot of pride calling myself a Singaporean. But lately, I find myself having less and less respect for the ruling party and their lowly ways. Makes me sad to see my country crumble from the inside, to watch its moral demolition done by the very people who built it.

    ReplyDelete